Using GI Bill® benefits
You must apply for educational benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to determine which GI Bill® benefits you are eligible to receive. The VA will provide your Certificate of Eligibility after processing your benefits application.
Complete the following steps, paying special attention to the VA form number applicable to chapter benefits that apply to you.
- Apply to VA for Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Apply for admission to Columbia College
- Submit official transcripts from all prior post-secondary institutions and military experience
- Provide Columbia with approved COE
- Register for classes each session
- Complete the Veterans Request for Certification each session
If applying for Chapters 30, 33, 1606 benefits
- Use VA Form 22-1990 or
- If you have previously used Chapters 30, 33, 1606 benefits at a different institution, use the Request for Change of Program of Place of Training Form 22-1995
- Submit DD-214 Discharge Document (your military branch provides at completion of enlistment) or Notice of Basic Eligibility Form 2384 (provided by your unit) to the VA Certifying Official
If applying for Chapter 31 benefits
- Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation using DV Form 28-1900
- Submit Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status VA Form 28-1905 to VA Certifying Official
If applying for Chapter 35 benefits
- Apply for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance VA Form 22-5490 or
- If you have previously used Chapter 35 benefits at a different institution, use the Request for Change of Program of Place of Training VA Form 22-5495
- Submit copy of DD-214 Discharge Documentation of the veteran to the VA Certifying Official
If you have previously been certified by Columbia College and wish to be certified for the upcoming term, please complete the Request for Certification Form and submit it to the Certifying Official at your location.
If you have changed your degree program, update your degree information with the VA by completing a Change of Program form. If you are using Chapter 30 or 1606 benefits, use VA Form 22-1995. If you are receiving Chapter 35 benefits, complete the VA 22-5495.
Forms are available on the VA website .
We can provide additional assistance for veterans wishing to use GI Bill® benefits.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill .