Adding, dropping or withdrawing from a course

Adding a course

Students taking classes online or on the traditional campus may add courses through the first Wednesday of each session or semester. Students taking courses in the evening or at a nationwide learning venue may add courses through Wednesday of the first week of each session.

Students may use Self-Service Student Planner  or "Assisted Registration" in myPortal. Online students should use the Self-Service Planner. You will receive a registration confirmation email to your Cougar email account as notification that your enrollment is complete.

Students may also register in person on campus or at their local venue.

To view or print your class schedule, login to Student Planning and click "View Your Schedule".

Dropping a course

Once enrolled in a class, a student is considered a member of that class until they officially drop or withdraw. Students may drop a course for any reason after enrollment through the first business day of the second week of each session or semester.

Refer to the Academic Calendar each session for these dates.

No punitive grade or financial liability will be issued with the exception of students studying on the residential campus. Once classes have started, students on the traditional campus wishing to discontinue enrollment must complete formal withdrawal procedures with the Dean of Student Affairs. If a student withdraws from school (i.e. drops all classes), then they may be eligible for a pro-rated tuition credit depending on the completion date of the total withdrawal process. For more information, please review the Undergraduate Catalog.

Students may drop from a course by logging into myPortal and completing the drop process under the "Register, Add or Drop" link in the left-panel section, "Shortcuts". A Drop Confirmation will be sent to your Cougar email within 24 hours of your submission.

Graduate students should refer to the Graduate Calendar for deadlines to register, add and drop courses.

Withdrawing from a course

A student may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period and prior to the end of the sixth week of a session. A withdrawal from a course does not eliminate academic or financial liability. Your course(s) will be listed on your official transcript with a grade of W and you are responsible for the full cost of the course(s). Students may withdraw from a course by submitting a Course Withdrawal form in myPortal . A Withdrawal Confirmation will be sent to your Cougar email once your submission has been processed. You may confirm your drop or withdrawal by checking under "View Your Schedule" in Self Service ; the course will no longer be listed.

Students are considered to have withdrawn if they stop attending courses for 14 consecutive days.

Financial aid impact of withdrawing from courses

Withdrawals may affect your financial aid situation and may result in some or all of your federal aid being returned to the federal government. For more in-depth information, you can see the Return of Title IV Funds (Federal Aid) Policy.

Please note: All students applying for federal and/or state financial assistance must meet and maintain satisfactory academic progress in a degree program to receive funding. Satisfactory progress is measured in terms of qualitative, quantitative and maximum time standards. All coursework at Columbia College is applied to these standards. The quality of a student's progress is measured by grade point average (cumulative GPA). The minimum GPA for financial aid recipients is the same as the academic standard for Columbia College. The quantity of a student's progress is measured by the Cumulative Completion Rate (hours earned divided by hours attempted). Students are required to complete 2/3 of attempted hours while at Columbia College. Financial aid recipients must complete an educational program within a time frame no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the educational program.

For more in-depth information about adding or dropping courses, students should review their Catalog or contact their academic advisor.