Current full-time students may apply. Applicants must:
- Have a 3.0 GPA with at least 12 hours of completed coursework at Columbia College at the time of application.
- Students who have a GPA lower than 3.0 should include a brief statement of explanation (no more than 150 words) for why you would like to be considered including any challenges you have faced. We will consider making an exception to the GPA minimum based on this statement.
- Be a full-time student.
- Plan to participate in an approved program.
- Be returning to Columbia College for at least one semester or two sessions (nationwide) immediately following their experience. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis.
Recipients will be required to serve as a Columbia College Global Ambassador while abroad and following their return. Scholarship recipients must document experiences through a journal, blog, photos or videos that could be used to promote the program. Additionally, recipients are expected to provide 20 hours of service to the Education Abroad Coordinator to promote programs to other students. Students studying at a location nationwide will work with the Education Abroad Coordinator and site director to fulfill this requirement.
The award can be used to pay for tuition and program fees associated with any approved Education Abroad program. The funds can be used to pay other institutions or providers for services. Funds may be used for semester or summer studies.
Award amounts range in value from $500 to $1,500 for summer studies and up to $5,000 for semester studies. The number and amounts of awards will depend on the quantity and quality of applications.
Students must also submit a 500-700 word essay that addresses:
- What inspired their choice of an education abroad destination.
- How their specific education abroad program will advance their academic, professional and personal goals.
- Why they would be an effective Columbia College Global Ambassador. Include relevant skills, attributes or ideas they could bring to the position
- For applicants with GPAs below 3.0, you must also include an additional statement of no more than 150 words on why we should consider you for a scholarship.
Essays should clearly demonstrate that the applicant has given careful thought to the place, program and responsibilities associated with the scholarship. Please carefully revise and edit your application. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need and those without prior Education Abroad experience. Applications will be reviewed mid Spring semester.