Maintaining GI Bill® benefits

Complete a Request for Certification Form  every session in order to continue receiving benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) .

Inform the Veterans Certifying Official if you:

  • Add or drop a class
  • Change your major
  • Change your address
  • Withdraw from the college
  • File your degree program

Only courses that apply toward your declared major are eligible for certification.

You must make Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you do not and are suspended by the college, your GI Bill® benefits will not resume until you have met the college’s requirements for reinstatement.

The VA will not pay to repeat satisfactorily completed courses, except under special circumstances.

If you fail a class, the VA does not automatically require repayment and will pay for you to repeat the class one time. However, if you fail a class because of lack of attendance, your last day of attendance will be reported to the VA, and the VA will not pay benefits for a class you did not attend.

Students receiving Chapters 30 or 1606 benefits are required to visit Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) on the GI Bill® website on the last day of each month to verify their enrollment with the VA.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at .