Using financial aid to study abroad

Students may potentially use federal aid to pay for study abroad expenses.

If credits from an approved study abroad program will transfer toward a degree at Columbia College, financial aid may be available. 

The first step is to submit the FAFSA. If you plan to use loans, be sure to complete entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note.

Upon eligibility, students may use federal grants and loans to assist with study abroad educational expenses. There are limits on the amount of financial aid a student can receive. For instance, the cost of attendance and estimated family contribution determine need-based aid. The number of credit hours approved and length of the trip will also be considered.

We do not require you to fill out a consortium agreement in order to get financial aid disbursed during a study abroad trip. If coursework is approved and your financial aid is in place, you may receive financial aid while out of the country. 

Students are expected to pay out of pocket for all travel fees and costs associated with the trip. There are flexible payment plans as long as deadlines are observed. 

If taking out loans, borrow only what you need. Depending on the type of trip, consider the cost of attendance for a semester or 8-week session.

In addition to financial aid, Columbia College students may apply for scholarship to study abroad.