There will be an ungraded Introduction Discussion (due Thursday by 11:59 p.m. CT of Week 1) and 10 graded Discussion posts during the course, worth 20 points each. Discussion posts will be graded according to the Discussion Rubric available in the Content Area of the course.
Initial discussion posts should be completed by 11:59 p.m. Central Time (CT), Thursday, with at least two responses to classmates’ posts by 11:59 p.m. CT, Sunday of each assigned week (with the exception of Week 8, when responses are due by 11:59 p.m. CT, Saturday).
The minimum number of words is 100 for initial post, and 50 for the response to classmates’ posts. Discussion is the heart of learning for this course. Therefore, students are expected to thoroughly answer discussion questions and participate in the required discussion topics each week.
The discussion posts should not only address the questions asked, but reference the textbook when appropriate, and prompt further discussion. The student responses to classmates should be more than “I agree” or “Great job.” Student responses should help facilitate the discussion.
There will be ungraded several Writers’ Workshop Discussions throughout the course. The purpose of these discussion areas is to provide you a forum to review the peer assignments/plans prior to submitting them for a grade. Writers’ Workshop Discussions are not required discussions, but you are strongly encouraged to use this forum as it allows you to receive feedback prior to final submission.
During this course, you will have 4 (four) Dropbox Assignments. These assignments are designed for you to thoroughly investigate and analyze a school district in their area. You will need to make arrangements to talk with a local school district by calling that school’s board of education office or a specific school within the district. You will use APA style. All assignments will be checked for originality. You can refer to the exemplar documents placed in the General Resources section.
Dropbox Assignment 1: Relationship Analysis
This paper is worth 50 points and is due on Sunday (by 11:59 p.m. Central Time) of Week 3. Identify, represent, and critique the types and qualities of interactions among groups and subgroups in a school district.
Identify at least 7 relationships that exist within their school and its community.
With each of these relationships, provide:
- A detailed description that characterizes each relationship.
- Examples to help reinforce these relationships.
- Analysis of each relationship in light of the district’s mission statement.
You must use APA style for your citations.The length of the Relationship Analysis paper is a minimum of 6 pages.
Dropbox Assignment 2: Evaluation of Existing Community Involvement
This paper is worth 125 points and is due on Sunday (by 11:59 Central Time) of Week 5. Conduct research on how the school’s community involvement plan (or parental involvement plan) is perceived by parents and other community members.
The paper should include the following:
- Identification of all community groups and constituents that are impacted by the plan.
- Three or more methods of surveying (pg. 28 of Bagin, Gallagher & Moore will help with this).
- Analysis and critique of how each of the groups and constituents are involved and if changes need to be made to the plan.
You must use APA style. The length of the Evaluation of Existing Community Involvement paper is a minimum of 8 pages.
Dropbox Assignment 3: Comprehensive Community Involvement Plan
This paper is worth 150 points and is due on Sunday (by 11:59 Central Time) of Week 7. Use the findings from the Evaluation of Existing Community Involvement paper as a basis for the Comprehensive Community Involvement Plan. Develop a plan that includes marketing and public relations components.
The final plan should
- Include references and information from your Evaluation of Existing Community Plan.
- Identify and explain the many types of community involvement with the school.
- Identify and link a wide range of stakeholders included with the involvement activities.
- Include a wide range of public relations tools and describe how they will be used.
- Include a marketing plan on how the Community Involvement Plan will be marketed within the community and school.
You must use APA style. The length of the Comprehensive Community Involvement Plan is a minimum of 10 pages.
Dropbox Assignment 4: Implementation Plan
This paper is worth 75 points and is due on Wednesday (by 11:59 central time) of Week 8. Create an implementation plan for the community involvement plan at your school.
This plan should include:
- Overall goals and mission of the plan
- Timeline of implementation
- Details on how each part of the plan will be put into action
- Information about stakeholders and how they will be brought into the plan
- Methods to assess the effectiveness of the plan
You may include information from the previous assignments. However, this should not simply be a compilation of the previous assignments. You can add additional components such as analysis of previous data and appendices.
You must use APA style. The length of the Implementation Plan is a minimum of 5 pages.