Students can become First Year Mentors (FYM) to help freshmen ease into academic and collegiate life. FYMs help new students connect with faculty, staff and resources available on campus.
Being an FYM can be a catalyst for personal growth and enrichment while providing you with a rewarding leadership opportunity.
The mentor positions are paraprofessional positions within the Division of Student Affairs. The Coordinator of Student Involvement and Traditions supervises FYMs.
FYM appointments begin in March with registration events and extend through the end of the fall semester in December. FYMs serve approximately 120 hours over the course of their paid employment.Apply to be an FYM
To apply and be considered for an FYM position, students must:
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Want to positively impact and encourage student success
- Be able to perform job duties, including returning to campus 7 to 9 days prior to the start of the fall semester
- Be enrolled full time on the traditional campus in Columbia, Missouri
First Year Mentors will:
- Perform duties in accordance with Columbia College's vision, mission and values
- Collaborate with Foundations faculty to assist in the facilitation of course curriculum
- Meet with the Foundations coordinator and faculty on a regular basis
- Return to campus 7 to 9 days prior to the fall semester for training and event preparation
- Facilitate and assess Welcome Week programs mandated for Foundations students
- Coordinate and implement half-hour long one-on-one meetings with each student enrolled in the FYM's assigned Foundation Class outside of class time to provide support
- Help recruit and train students for the FYM program
- Fulfill additional duties as assigned
Mentoring gives you valuable skills
At Columbia College, you can take on a mentoring role to gain valuable leadership and organizational skills. Apply today and become a part of our First Year Mentor team.Apply today at no cost