Register for commencement
The deadline for the main campus commencement ceremony registration is approximately two months prior to the ceremony. Openings are limited for each ceremony, so early sign-up is recommended. The electronic order form is located in MyPortal under Tools > Graduation and Commencement and is titled "Commencement Ceremony Application." If there are any questions about the commencement ceremonies, students may contact the Office of the Registrar or their Columbia College location.
Please be aware that each main campus ceremony is streamed live on the Internet. By signing up for a main campus ceremony, you have agreed to participate in a live streaming event.
Students who complete their degrees in Early or Late Fall are eligible to participate in the Fall commencement ceremonies of the same year. Early Spring graduates who request to participate in the preceding year’s Fall ceremonies are allowed to do so without appeal. Early and later Summer graduates who request to participate in the Fall ceremonies of the same year are allowed to do so without appeal.
Students who complete their degrees in Early and Late Spring are eligible to participate in the Spring commencement ceremonies of the same year. Early and Late Summer graduates who request to participate in the Spring ceremony of the same year are allowed to do so without appeal.
Students not eligible for a ceremony
Students with degree completion dates other than the ones described above must appeal to participate in a different ceremony from the one that they are eligible for. This appeal must be submitted prior to the deadline to order caps and gowns. For the Spring commencement ceremonies, students wishing to participate in a ceremony other than the one they are eligible for must also submit an appeal. Appeals need to be emailed to the Office of the Registrar at CeremonyConfirmation@CCIS.edu and include what they are appealing to.
- Sign up eight weeks prior to an event)
- Submit Graduation Application form via MyPortal (myportal.ccis.edu > Tools > Graduation and Commencement > Graduation Application (Declaration of Candidacy))
- Submit Commencement Ceremony Application form via MyPortal (myportal.ccis.edu > Tools > Graduation and Commencement > Commencement Ceremony Application)
- Affirm you receive an email from CeremonyConfirmation@CCIS.edu that either confirms that you are registered for the event or provides instructions on what you need to do to complete your registration. All confirmations will be sent out at least eight weeks prior to the ceremony date.
- Affirm you receive participation letter and marching instructions via CougarMail.
- Order commencement announcements via Herff Jones .
- Contact your location or Academic Affairs to inquire about honor society cords if applicable (Latin honors will be awarded the day of the ceremony).
- Schedule a campus tour! Campus tours will be held the Friday prior to your ceremony date at 3:30 p.m. for anyone interested. Please RSVP with the number of people in your party using the Campus Tour Reservation Form. The tour will start promptly at 3:30 p.m.
- Arrive for ceremony one hour prior to ceremony start time at the Koepke Fitness Center.
- Check in and receive name cards from commencement staff.
- Share your photos! Use #CCMOGRAD with any Facebook, Instagram or Twitter update so we can celebrate with you!
Cap & gown, announcements and rings
Cap and gown
All students wishing to participate in a main campus ceremony must order their cap and gown via the Herff Jones website . The venue will notify students when regalia is available for pick-up.
Only honors cords and stoles may be worn over your gown. Columbia College regalia recognized honors society adornments and other approved stoles may be worn during the ceremony.
Commencement Regalia Policy
Effective with the start of the 2022-2023 academic year, Columbia College will pay the cost of the regalia for those students who participate in any commencement ceremony at the main campus or at one the nationwide locations. Regalia can be reserved on the Herff Jones website and will be shipped to the campus location where the student will be walking in a ceremony. Students who reserve regalia but decide against attending a ceremony will forfeit the complimentary regalia and it will be returned to the vendor.
Main Campus ceremonies: Students can pick up their regalia at the Office of the Registrar the Thursday and Friday before the event or during check-in the day of ceremony.
Nationwide ceremonies: Students can pick up their regalia at the host location the week of the commencement or during check-in the day of ceremony.
Please note that graduates must wear the cap and gown as their outer wear to participate in ceremonies. You may decorate your cap as long as the decoration does not extend past the mortarboard. You may not decorate your gown in any way. Only honors cords and approved stoles may be worn over your gown. Only regalia and Columbia College recognized honors society adornments may be worn during the ceremony.
Students who do not wish to participate in ceremony can order their own regalia through the Herff Jones website and have it shipped to themselves. The student is responsible for the cost of the regalia and shipping in this case.
Please go to the Herff-Jones website to order class rings.