Residence Hall Housing Requirement Policy
Living on campus has been shown to play a significant role in a student’s success. Research indicates that students living on campus generally have a higher grade point average, a higher probability of graduating from college, and generally experience a higher degree of overall satisfaction with college. The purpose of this policy is to outline on campus housing requirements for Day Campus students at Columbia College.
This policy applies to all full-time Day Campus students under 22 years of age at Columbia College.
All full-time Day Campus students with fewer than 75 semester hours completed must live on campus. Full-time Day Campus students receiving institutional scholarships/aid totaling 75% or more of their Tuition including Presidential Scholars, Athletics Scholarships, or students receiving the Employee Education Grant (EEG) must live on campus regardless of their parents’ or legal guardians’ address until they meet another exemption.
Part-time Day students and Graduate Students are not required to live on campus, but may submit a request to live on-campus to the Director of Residential Life. Housing for Graduate and Part-time students is dependent upon availability.
Exemptions to the Campus Housing Requirements
Full-time Day Campus students are exempt from the Housing Requirement if they meet one of the following exemptions.
- Students living at home with parents or legal guardians’ within a 25 mile radius of the main campus in Columbia, MO, where such address has been established as the sole, legal and permanent residence of the parents’ or legal guardians’ who receive LESS than 75% of their tuition from institutional scholarships/aid. Students listed as living at home with parents/legal guardians and later found living in off-campus housing not with parents/legal guardians will be assigned a room and meal plan on campus and charged accordingly.
- Married students (requires marriage certificate for review). Columbia College does not offer married/family housing.
- Students who are parents or legal guardians of dependent minor children (requires dependent birth certificate for review). Columbia College does not offer married/family housing.
- Students age 22 or older by the first day of classes of the Academic Semester for which they are enrolled.
- Military veterans as defined by federal guidelines.
- Transfer students who have achieved 60+ credit hours, but who do not meet any other exception, may request an exemption through the appeals process if they already have established their residence within a 25 mile radius of the main campus in Columbia, MO.
The Housing Contract is for the duration of the academic year for which the student is registered.
Students seeking exemption from the college’s residency requirement who do not meet an exemption listed here must complete and submit an appeal to the Director for Residential Life.