CLEP Exams - Testing Center - Main Campus
What is CLEP?
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams are college-level exams through which one can receive college credit for prior knowledge in particular subject areas. For a complete listing, visit the testing services office or the CollegeBoard website. Most successful CLEP examinees are students who have work experience in the field of their examination or have taken the examination without completing or transferring the credit. Columbia College Testing Services does not encourage students without any background in a particular field to attempt cramming for an exam, as the exams are equivalent to a comprehensive final one might take in a corresponding course.
How does CLEP credit work?
To determine if your school accepts CLEP as college credit, you can visit CLEP's College Search. Columbia College's CLEP equivalency guide can be viewed on the Evaluations web page.
Exam results are typically available immediately after the exam to the test taker, however, schools will not receive the official CLEP transcript for up to six weeks. Grades for certain exams that contain portions other than multiple choice may not be immediately available.
How much is CLEP?
The administrative charge for taking your exam at the main campus in Columbia, Mo., is $25 and is due at the time of registration. The exam fee of $87 is paid prior to arriving at the Testing Center. Candidates must first register and purchase the exam package on the CollegeBoard website.
Registering for CLEP
To register for a CLEP Exam at the main campus in Columbia, Mo., complete the Online Registration and Payment for CLEP Exam (below) and submit the $25 Administrative Charge. This charge is non-refundable.
- Once Testing Services receives confirmation of your registration and payment, we will email you to schedule your exam.
- Students must register at least one week in advance of the anticipated exam. Exams are offered Monday – Friday, beginning at 9:00 a.m., with the last exam starting at 2:30 p.m., space permitting.
- Candidates are required to provide a CLEP Exam Registration Ticket on the day of testing. This is supplied to the candidate after purchasing the exam package on the CollegeBoard website.
- Please arrive on time. Proctors will not allow late examinees to test.
- We will reschedule CLEP exams twice, provided we are contacted in advance, before your administrative charge is forfeited.
- Failing to call to reschedule or not showing up for exam will forfeit the administrative charge.
- CLEP requires each candidate to present two forms of identification on the day of testing. For a detailed list of identification requirements, please consult the CLEP: Information for Candidates Guide.
Register and pay online
How do I prepare for a CLEP Exam?
Preparation for a CLEP Exam should include ample time to study the material thoroughly. One of the best ways to do this is by studying the textbook from the course for which you are wishing to receive the credit.
The Testing Center has compiled a CLEP Resource Guide that may be helpful in getting started.
You may also wish to view CLEP's Official Exam Guides, which contains additional resources.