Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: (573) 875-7504
Toll-free: (800) 231-2391, ext. 7504
Fax: (573) 875-7209
Main Campus address:
1001 Rogers St.,
Columbia, MO 65216 U.S.A.
A green zone is a location recognized by veterans as a safe place. The goal of the Green Zone program is to provide a safe space for student veterans, whether on-campus or online.
Columbia College offers a training program for staff and faculty to become green zone advocates.
Graduates of the Green Zone training program will proudly display the Green Zone logo in their office or in their syllabus.
Green zone advocates are staff and faculty who:
- Are aware of the issues and concerns faced by student veterans and their families
- Are available to listen and assist student veterans and their families
- Are a sympathetic ear
- Can refer to appropriate services as needed
Green Zone advocates are NOT expected to be experts or be able to solve all problems. Instead, they are a resource to student veterans.
Highlights of Green Zone training include:
- How to identify student veterans and understand their demographics
- Understanding military experience and the cycle of deployments
- Understanding the strengths of veterans in the classroom
- Understanding the challenges veterans face in the classroom
- Identifying resources available to student veterans such as disability, health, tutoring services, and more
- What questions should and should not be asked to veterans
- Discussion of typical scenarios student veterans face and how to appropriately navigate them
For more information about Green Zone, please contact Veteran Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1 (800) 231-2391 ext. 7504.