Columbia College Education Abroad Scholarship
Application deadline (taking applications for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021): January 25, 2021.
Current full-time students planning to attend an approved Education Abroad program may be eligible for an education abroad award. Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA* and at least 12 semester hours of coursework at Columbia College. Students must also be in good standing with the college in terms of conduct. Students should be able to serve as a Columbia College Global Ambassador following their return.
Applications and questions should be directed to EducationAbroad@CCIS.edu.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Have a 3.0 GPA* with at least 12 hours of completed coursework at Columbia College at the time of application. *Students who have a GPA lower than 3.0 should include a brief statement of explanation (no more than 150 words) for why you would like to be considered including any challenges you have faced. We will consider making an exception to the GPA minimum based on this statement.
- Be a full-time student.
- Plan to participate in an approved program.
- Be returning to Columbia College for at least one semester or two sessions (nationwide) immediately following their experience. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis.
What are my obligations as an award recipient?
You will be required to serve as a Columbia College Global Ambassador while abroad and following your return. During their experience, scholarship holders must document their experiences. This could be through a journal, blog, photos or video that could be posted on the college's Education Abroad page and social media accounts. Recipients are expected to provide 20 hours of service to the Education Abroad Coordinator promoting Education Abroad to other students. CCG students will coordinate activities with the Education Abroad Coordinator and their location directors.
What will the award pay for? How much will it be?
The award can be used to pay for tuition and program fees associated with any approved Education Abroad program. The funds can be used to pay other institutions or providers for their services. Funds may be used for semester or summer study. Award amounts will range in value from $500-$1,500 for summer study and up to $5,000 for semester study. The number and amount of awards may vary and will depend on the quantity and quality of applications.
How do I apply?
Applicants should submit a completed Education Abroad application, a letter of reference from a faculty member, and an essay. Send all materials to email@example.com. The 500-750 word essay should address the following:
- What inspired their choice of an education abroad destination.
- How their specific education abroad program will advance their academic, professional and personal goals.
- Why they would be an effective Columbia College Global Ambassador. Include relevant skills, attributes or ideas they could bring to the position
- For applicants with GPAs below 3.0, you must also include an additional statement of no more than 150 words on why we should consider you for a scholarship.
Essays should clearly demonstrate that the applicant has given careful thought to the place, program and responsibilities associated with the scholarship. Please carefully revise and edit your application. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need and those without prior Education Abroad experience. Applications will be reviewed mid Spring semester.