This includes time you’ll spend observing classrooms, helping cooperating teachers and working one-on-one with students.
Field experience will require background clearance. This is completed through the Family Care Safety Registry . Steps for registering with FCSR are:
- Go to the FCSR link above
- Click on "Is a Person Registered"
- Enter your Social Security number and follow the instructions on the screen
- If the website response shows that SSN is not found in the database, click "continue" to proceed with your registration. (If your SSN is found, skip to step 6.)
- You will be required to pay a one-time registration fee so you will need a valid debit or credit card.
- Once you've completed the registration process, contact the Education office to let them know they can request a clearance.
You only need to register with FCSR once and a background screening is good for one year from the date requested. The Education Office can request updated screenings whenever needed. There are certain criminal activities that can prevent you from being certified in the state of Missouri. If you have concerns, contact the Education Department at EducatorPrep@CCIS.edu for a confidential meeting.
Students in field experience courses are encouraged to have personal liability insurance. Students who are members of a professional association, including the Student MSTA or Student MNEA, may receive personal liability insurance as a benefit.
Field experience culminates with student teaching where you’ll spend 16 weeks in the classroom with the goal of assuming all responsibilities of a classroom teacher for at least 15 consecutive days. In order to be considered for student teaching, students must submit several documents and verifications including:
- Letter of Intent
- Student Teaching Application form
- Coursework completion plan (Just submit a Word document or pdf showing the courses you have remaining on your certification/degree checklist and when you are taking them or plan to take them.)
- Student Profile
- MoCA (attempted by Student Teaching Application deadline date; passing score required by April 30 for fall student teaching or November 30 for spring student teaching) Missouri Content Assessment
Other items required prior to approval to register for the student teaching course are:
- Meet professional education and content area GPA requirements (3.0)
- Valid Substitute teaching certificate (substitute teaching certificate )
- Valid fingerprinting background clearance (background and fingerprinting check through DESE )
- Synthesis paper (completed in EDUC 400)
- Completion of all professional education and content area courses
Other documents are available in the content tabs of CougarTeach.