Follow these basic steps for specific types of emergencies.
- Activate a fire alarm if one is not already active
- Evacuate the building and move away from the building and out of the street
- Call 911 (then if on the Main Campus, call the Office of Campus Safety at (573) 875-7315)
- Notify emergency personnel (or Campus Safety if on the Main Campus) of anyone you know or suspect may still be in the building
- When a tornado warning siren sounds (or you receive direction from Campus Safety if on the Main Campus), evacuate to the designated interior location of your building
- If possible, take cover under heavy furniture
- Stay in your location until given the “all clear”
Medical emergency procedures
- Call 911 for an ambulance
- Do not move the victim unless there is imminent hazard
- Stay with the victim and meet responding emergency personnel
- If indoors and if safe, attempt to get to the lowest part of the building
- Take cover under sturdy furniture or in doorways, halls or against inside walls
- Stay away from glass windows or doors, and be alert for falling debris
- If in a lab, turn off gas burners, if possible, and move to a safer location
- If outdoors, stay in the open away from buildings and structures and a safe distance from utility wires
- After tremors have stopped, avoid damaged buildings and structures
Hazardous material spill procedures
- For major incidents, call 911 immediately
- If on the Main Campus, contact Campus Safety at (573) 875-7315.
- Take action to contain the release if possible to do so safely
- Close doors and windows if possible to do so safely
- Evacuate the area to the extent appropriate
- Warn others and control access to impacted area with warning signs if possible
Bomb threat procedures
- If you receive a bomb threat by phone, keep the caller on the line as long as possible while enlisting help to contact 911 (and Campus Safety if on the Main Campus)
- Ask questions and write down responses:
- Where is the bomb? What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it? What will cause it to explode?
- Who placed the bomb? Is the caller with an organization?
- What is the caller’s name and address?
- Why is the college being targeted?
Armed intruder information
The Run. Hide. Fight video provides information that might help you in an active shooter situation. Please watch and discuss with others on campus.