Transfer credit FAQ

Official transcripts are required from all previous colleges attended - no exceptions. This includes Military experience, college courses taken during high school, and AP, CLEP and DSST exams.

No. There can be no transfer evaluation completed until Columbia College receives the official transcript from the previous school. You will not be able to graduate without the transcript, and may be barred from enrollment after a grace period.

Contact the department of education for your school's state. That office will have information about the location of old school records. If the records are no longer available, ask the state record keeper to send us a letter explaining the situation.

Absolutely yes.

Usually full credit is given for coursework completed with a grade of "C" or better from a regionally accredited college or university.

We can accept any qualifying transfer credit. However, some of the transfer may not apply towards a specific degree. An associate's degree requires a minimum of 15 hours taken through Columbia College, and the remaining 45 hours may be transfer credit. A bachelor's degree requires at least 30 hours with Columbia College, and up to 90 hours may be transfer. No more than 60 hours of a bachelor's degree may be earned through non-college credit, such as military, CLEP, AP, DSST exams, or professional training.

Nothing. This is done automatically for students admitted to the college. There is no fee to transfer previous credit.

Yes. Columbia College will give college credit for passing scores on CLEP or DSST exams.

These are standardized tests that can be taken in various subjects to give credit for a specific class. The tests are not given through the Online program, but may often be taken at one of the Columbia College sites or numerous locations around the world.