There are graded discussion assignments each week, plus an additional, introductory post in Week 1 worth 5 points. Initial Posts for all discussions are due on Thursday of the week assigned, and two responses are due by Sunday (Saturday in week 8) in order to earn the maximum number of points. Discussion topics are comprised of 2 to 4 questions for each topic. They require a comprehensive analysis (3-4 paragraphs) of the question/s to demonstrate that you have a full understanding of the concepts being presented.
There are two types of discussion questions presented in this course. Some questions relate to chapter topics; some are video assignments that relate to the case studies that are due in weeks four and eight.
Chapter Topics Specifics
Chapter Topics require at least three in-text citations (with quotes, MLA format). You may reference your textbook to support your discussions or cite other scholarly work or nationally recognized news sources as you wish. Chapter Topics are worth 25 points, with 20 points possible for initial posts and 5 points possible for responses. You are required to complete Chapter Topics in Weeks 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7.
Users must post before reading and replying to other posts.
Video Topics Specifics
No references are required for Video Discussion topics.
Video Discussions are worth 15 points, with 10 points possible for initial posts and 5 points possible for responses. You must complete Video Topics every week (including Weeks 4 & 8).
Users must post before reading and replying to other posts.
Company Profile Assignment
You will be required to complete a company profile assignment (5-6 paragraphs) designed to get you thinking about the issues related to organizational theory before we dive into the case studies presented in the course. You will have the opportunity to provide (in your own words) a definition of the term organization, summarize your own organization, and outline some specifics regarding the organization’s structural design and approaches you see for improvement. Specifically, I want you to address issues like the morale within the organization and the effectiveness of leadership to promote a positive culture and promote strong values within the company.
The assignment will be due on Sunday of Week 1.
Your paper should be double-spaced, 12-point font, and one inch margins. Be sure to include the following:
Part One: In your own words, define an organization.
Part Two: Provide a summary (5-6 paragraphs) of your organization including the following information. You may use an organization you are currently in or one you worked with in the past*:
- Where you work, company type, and industry. For example: “I work at XYZ company. We operate a prominent Physical Therapy business. I serve the company as a consultant. My duties include…”
- Identify the structural design of your organization and explain its purpose.
- Explain the primary differences between an organic and a mechanistic organization design. Which type of organization do you think would be easier to manage? Why?
- Identify the structure of your organization (mechanistic or organic) and explain why that structure is utilized (why is it effective/ineffective)?
- What effectiveness approach do you believe is best for the organization? Why?
- Explain whether it is an Open or Closed System.
*If you are having trouble selecting a workplace or organization you have been involved in, please contact your instructor to determine a potential company for you to research for this assignment.
During this course, you will be required to complete two case study assignments. The case studies will focus on two large organizations (Costco and IKEA). You will have the opportunity to examine each of the organizations in detail and describe some of the factors that drive the organization, including company values, culture, technological practices, and its response to innovation. The first case study will be due by Sunday of week four and the final case study will be due by Saturday of Week 8.
Both case studies must contain the following:
- A synopsis.
- A description of the design and structure of the organization.
- An examination of the culture of the organization and an outline of the company values.
- A description of what motivates the employees. (Motivational Practices)
- An analysis of environmental concerns surrounding the organization.A review of the organization’s practices concerning social responsibility.
- An assessment of how the company is a learning organization.
- A conclusion that summarizes your main points.
Additionally, Case Study 2 must include:
- An evaluation of the organization’s technological practices.
- A description of the innovative qualities and indicators for change.
- Issues you identify regarding power, conflict, control, and political stance.
These Case Studies must be between 5-7 pages in length (using MLA style), double-spaced, 12 point, and one inch margins.
In addition to references to the textbook, you must include at least three (3) quality outside references (library, web, etc.) to support your case study. Please include a properly formatted MLA Works Cited page at the end of each Case Study. (But no Title Page is required)
Case Study #1: Costco is due by Sunday, 11:59 PM CT in Week 4.
Case Study #2: IKEA is due by Saturday, 11:59 PM CT in Week 8.
Each case study is worth 150 points.
There will be two non-proctored examinations. Each exam will be comprised of 40 multiple choice and true/false questions, worth a total of 200 points; there will be a one hour time limit for each exam. The midterm covers Chapters 1-7 and the final covers Chapter 8-13.
Each exam will be available at 12:01 AM CT of Wednesday of the week it is assigned. The midterm must be completed by Sunday, 11:59 PM CT of Week Four, and the final exam must be completed by Saturday, 11:59 PM CT of Week 8.
The results of each exam will be available immediately after the exam is submitted. Only scores and questions answered incorrectly will be shown. Incorrect answers will only be shown for 10 minutes after the exam is submitted.