Network Password Policy
Passwords are the most frequently utilized form of authentication for accessing a computing resource. Due to the use of weak passwords, the proliferation of automated password-cracking programs, and the activity of malicious hackers and spammers, they are very often also the weakest link in securing data. This policy describes the College’s requirements for acceptable password selection and maintenance to maximize security of the password and minimize its misuse or theft.
This policy applies to anyone accessing or utilizing Columbia College’s network.
A single user sign on process has been developed for email, Web Advisor, Colleague and network access. These systems will have synchronized user names and passwords and this information will be maintained in one location. Under this policy faculty and staff will be required to change their passwords every 90 days. Students are not required to change their password at an established interval. In terms of password administration, the following list provides requirements for establishing and maintaining passwords:
- Passwords shall be a minimum of eight characters in length.
- Passwords will require a combination of at least two characters from two of the following categories:
- Alphabetical letters (a-z or A-Z)
- Digits (0-9)
- Examples: passed12, pASSw0rd, pA12x4cc
- Passwords should not include spaces.
- Passwords shall be memorized and are not to be written down or stored by other means.
- Passwords shall not be shared with anyone for any reason.
- Users need to change their password prior to the expiration date or they will be locked out of the above-mentioned areas.
- Re-using previous passwords: new passwords must differ from the three previous passwords.
- Notification reminders will be sent to users 14, seven, three, two and one day before the passwords expire.
If you have any question regarding changing your password, please call Technology Services at ext. 4357, toll free at 1-800-231-2391 ext. 4357, or via email CCHelpDesk@ccis.edu.