International Transfer Policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline the policy and procedures for transferring course credit from international institutions of higher learning to Columbia College.
This policy applies to all students seeking to transfer credit from an international institution to Columbia College.
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating international transcripts and credentials for acceptance and possible transfer credit.
Acceptable Sources of Transfer Credit
Only institutions that are recognized by the home country's Ministry of Education as university-level, degree-granting institutions will be considered for transfer credit. Columbia College cannot transfer master's or Ph.D. level courses into its undergraduate program.
Processing time for international evaluations may take longer due to academic research and turnaround time in dealing with third parties for information.
- Columbia College requires that all students submit original, official transcripts for evaluation. An evaluation of transfer credits cannot be completed prior to the receipt of original, official transcripts.
- Education reports completed by evaluation service agencies are not official transcripts and are not used as part of the evaluation process.
- Education reports can be used as English translations of official transcripts.
- Transcripts that are delivered to Columbia College by the student must be unopened and sealed in the original envelope from the transfer institution. Columbia College staff will open the envelope, verify its authenticity, and forward the transcript and envelope(s) to the appropriate office.
- All transcripts must be housed in sealed, unopened envelopes at the time of submission.
- The Office of the Registrar will keep official transcripts and the envelopes on file.
- Neither transcripts nor envelopes will be returned to students.
- All transcripts must be translated into English by a translation agency.
- Transfer credit will not be evaluated without an English translation.
- English translations must be provided by a translation agency.
- English translations that are provided by other students, friends, or family members will not be accepted.
Translation Service Recommendations
You are not required to use this translation agency. There are many translation services available.
545 8th Ave., 12th floor
New York, NY 10018
Phone: +1 (800) 790-3680
International Education Evaluations, Inc.
7900 Matthews-Mint Hill Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28227
Phone: +1 (704) 772-0109
Fax: +1 (704) 545-2484
Submit course descriptions to request direct equivalency credit evaluation. General elective credit will be awarded if course descriptions are not provided. All course descriptions must be translated to English by a translation agency. You may submit:
- Course syllabus;
- Course outline; or
- Course description provided by the transfer institution.