International Student Reporting Requirement Policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline reporting requirements for international students in F-1 student visa status as determined by federal regulations. It is the responsibility of each individual international student to maintain lawful status. Failure to comply with this policy will result in serious consequences for the international student.
This policy applies to all international students in F-1 visa status at Columbia College.
Students in F-1 student visa status must adhere to the regulatory requirements outlined in the United States Federal Register, Part 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Students must register for and complete 12 semester hours each semester of enrollment. Failure to comply with this requirement constitutes a violation of status and serious consequences can be imposed.
Upon their initial arrival on campus, international students must attend International Student Orientation and check-in with the International Center. Students must complete the Immigration Check-In Form and bring the following documents: a valid passport, visa (stamp located inside the passport), and all I-20 forms (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student) issued throughout the duration of their studies in the United States. These documents will be reviewed and photocopied for the student’s file. At that time, the International Center staff will register the student in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
Under SEVIS reporting requirements, the Designated School Official (DSO) must report the following information for each student no later than 30 days after the program start date:
- Full-time enrollment
- Student dropped below full-time without prior approval by the DSO
- Student failed to enroll
- Current address - defined as where the student is physically residing
- Start date of next term or semester
For students in initial status, the deadline for reporting is 30 days from the program start date on the SEVIS I-20 form. For continuing students, the deadline is 30 days from the beginning date of the term.
The DSO at the College enters data and keeps records on all international students as well as their dependents. The DSO is required to update information in SEVIS within a given time period regarding certain events related to a student or the dependent spouse/child. These reportable events include, but are not limited to:
- Change of legal name
- Change of address, both in the U.S. and abroad
- Failure to maintain status or complete the educational program
- Early completion of the program prior to the end date on SEVIS Form I-20
- Disciplinary action taken by the school against the student as a result of a conviction of a crime
- Any other notification about the student’s status
Students must report a change of name or address to the International Center within 10 days of the change. The DSO will update this information in SEVIS within 21 days.
As part of the record-keeping requirements under the F-1 regulations, the College must maintain the following information about each student:
- Date and Place of Birth
- Country of Citizenship
- Residential Address, both in the United States and abroad
- Enrollment status: Full/Part-time
- Date of Beginning of Activities
- Degree Program and Field of Study
- Practical Training Recommendations
- Termination Date and Reason
- Documents Required for Admission to Columbia College
- Credits Completed Each Term/Semester
- Photocopy of Form I-20