Employment Classifications and Categories
Classifications of Employment
The following terms are used to describe the classification of employees and their employment status:
- Exempt: Employees not covered by the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor and Standards Act (FLSA).
- Nonexempt: Employees covered by the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor and Standards Act (FLSA) and are entitled to overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Regular, Full-time Appointment: A regular, full-time appointment, other than a member of the faculty, occurs when an individual is employed to work as a 1 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) of a 40 hour work week.
- Other, Part-time Appointment: This part-time appointment, other than a member of the faculty, occurs when an employee is scheduled to work less than 20 hours per week. This does not include individuals employed in a position that requires student status as a condition of employment.
- Temporary Appointment: A temporary appointment, other than a member of the faculty, occurs when a person is appointed to a position of short duration, intermittent in nature, or in a position where it is impractical to employ an individual on a continuing basis.
- Student Employee: A student employee is an individual whose association with the College is for the primary purpose of furthering a formal education at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Enrolled students may be appointed to work as a .5 FTE or less during a regular academic semester, and as a 1 FTE during breaks between academic terms when not taking classes.
- Employment of Minors: The labor laws require all minors between 14 and 16 years of age to obtain a work permit during the school year. A copy of the work permit must be sent to the Payroll Office and to Human Resources before the indvidiual may work. A child under age 16 shall not be permitted to work more than 8 hours in any non-school day nor more than 40 hours in any non-school week, nor before 7:00 a.m. nor after 9:00 p.m. During a school term, a child under 16 shall not be employed or permitted to work after 7:00 p.m. on days immediately preceding days when school is in session, nor more than 3 hours a day on school days, nor more than 18 hours a week in school weeks.
Categories of Employment
- Administrative Council (AC): Senior management level employees of Columbia College who serve on the AC and report directly to the President of the College.
- Administrative Staff: Employees of Columbia College who serve in an administrative capacity (e.g., Director, Assistant Director, Associate Director level employees, Academic Advisors, etc.).
- Support Staff: Employees of Columbia College who serve in a support capacity (e.g., Administrative Assistants, Maintenance, Custodial, etc.).