Skip to main content

Search Bar Icon Close Menu

Transfer evaluation FAQ

How will my credit transfer?

Once all of your transcripts are submitted, the Office of the Registrar will complete the evaluation process to show how all of your previous credit transfers. This generally takes 2-3 weeks after your last transcript is received. When the evaluation is complete, your degree plan will be sent to your CougarMail account. The degree plan includes your degree audit, transfer equivalencies (if applicable), and advising sheet that summarizes what courses are still needed to complete your degree.

You may also want to take a look at the Office of the Registrar website. They list transfer equivalencies for some schools, and this may help you get an idea of how your credit may transfer. Though it in no way lists every school, it does include the ones we see most often. Visit the Office of the Registrar site for more information on transfer equivalencies.

I don't see any 144 or 444 courses in the catalog. What are these classes on my transfer report?

Transfer courses are given the same number as a catalog course if they are equivalent. But courses that are not equivalent to any course in the Columbia College catalog are coded 144 for lower level elective or 444 for upper level elective. For example, a course given transfer credit as SOCI 144 is considered a lower level Sociology elective, or a course given transfer credit as ELEC 444 is considered an upper level general elective.

Example of direct equivalent course:

Moberly Area Community College ACC 101 Elementary Accounting I = Columbia College ACCT 280 Accounting I (Financial)

Example of non-equivalent course:

Moberly Area Community College JRN 101 Journalism I = Columbia College ELEC 144

How can I change my major?

To change you major we suggest talking with your academic advisor first. After you speak with your academic advisor you will submit the Declaration of Major form (or you can find this form in CougarTrack>Menu>Students>Forms>Declaration of Major Form). A degree audit will be completed for your new degree, and you will receive the updated information in your Cougarmail to help you choose courses. There is no fee for this.

If I earn an associate's degree, will any of the credit apply towards a bachelor's?

Yes. In fact, if you plan to complete both an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree with Columbia College, your advisor can help you choose courses that will apply to both degrees.

Can I have two majors?

Yes. A double major works better with two related majors, but you may also pursue two unrelated majors at the same time. Completing two majors might take longer than doing either one alone.

What is the difference between a BS and a BA?

The only Bachelor of Science degrees available Online are in Business Administration and Computer Information Systems. Both the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration require a minimum of 120 hours, both require the same General Education credit, and both require the same Major Area Core classes. The BS degree requires an additional 21 hours of business area elective credit; in the BA, these same 21 hours can be in any subject area. The BS degree is generally perceived as having more depth in the major area.

What can I do with this degree?

Students choose a major for many different reasons. For those needing a basic bachelor's degree as soon as possible, the General Studies degree is often sufficient. But those interested in career options might wish to visit the Career Services Center for more career information.


Request info