DSST (DANTES) Exams - Testing Center - Main Campus
What is DSST/DANTES?
DSST (also known as DANTES) exams are college-level examinations through which one can receive college credit for prior knowledge in particular subject areas. For a complete listing, visit the testing services office or www.getcollegecredit.com. Most successful DSST examinees are students who have work or school experience in the field of their examination or have taken the examination without completing or transferring the credit. Columbia College Testing Services does not encourage students without any background in a particular field to attempt cramming for an exam, as the exams are equivalent to a comprehensive final one might take in a corresponding course.
How does DSST credit work?
To determine if your school accepts DSST as college credit, you can visit DSST's College Search. Columbia College's DSST equivalency guide can be viewed on the Evaluations web page.
Exam results are typically available immediately after the exam to the test taker, however, schools will not receive the official DSST transcript for up to six weeks. Grades for certain exams that contain portions other than multiple choice may not be immediately available.
How much is DSST?
The administrative charge for taking your exam at the main campus in Columbia, Mo., is $25 and is due at the time of registration. The exam fee of $85 is paid at the time you take your exam using Visa or Mastercard.
Please note: If you are a member of the military and DSST exams are funded for you, please let us know in the comments area in your registration.
Registering for DSST
To register for a DSST Exam at the main campus in Columbia, Mo., complete the Online Registration and Payment for DSST Exam (below) and submit the $25 administrative charge. This charge is non-refundable.
- Once Testing Services receives confirmation of your registration and payment, we will email you to schedule your exam.
- Students must register at least one week in advance of the anticipated exam. Exams are offered Monday – Friday, beginning at 9 a.m., with the last exam starting at 2:30 p.m., space permitting.
- Please arrive on time. Proctors will not allow late examinees to test.
- We will reschedule DSST exams twice, provided we are contacted in advance, before your administrative charge is forfeited.
- Failing to call to reschedule or not showing up for exam will forfeit the administrative charge.
Register and pay online
Please note: If you are a military service member and DSST exams are funded for you, please let us know in the comments area in your registration.
How do I prepare for a DSST Exam?
Preparation for a DSST Exam should include ample time to study the material thoroughly. One of the best ways to do this is by studying the textbook from the course for which you are wishing to receive the credit.
The Testing Center has compiled a DSST Resource Guide that may be helpful in getting started.
You may also wish to view DSST's Official Exam Guides.