The Fishman Center believes that mentors are key to the success of potential student entrepreneurs. With this in mind, we have a robust mentoring network of professionals for Columbia College students.
Mentors are people in our lives more experienced than ourselves. They are individuals who teach something new, challenge creativity, form a lasting friendship, or simply express an interest in the personal and professional development of an emerging individual. A mentor may open the mentored person’s eyes to the world, help them find a different path, aid them to realize potential, or even kick a little butt when it needs to be kicked.
Mentors support student entrepreneurs through the following:
- Share information through their knowledge, experience and wisdom.
- Provide valuable contacts and introductions.
- Build confidence and stimulate curiosity.
- Share stories of achievements and trials.
- Help set goals.
- Assist in identifying key resources.
- Ask tough, yet thoughtful questions.