All crime victims are encouraged to report incidents to Campus Safety regardless of how insignificant the crime. In case of emergency, call 911 to report the emergency and then call Campus Safety at 711 or ext. 7315. You may use one of the call boxes located throughout campus. In case of non-emergency crime, call Campus Safety first and the responding officer will make the determination to call other authorities. Security is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year so crime reports can be made at any time. The Campus Safety office is located at 508 N. 8th Street in Robnett-Spence.
Never assume that someone else has made the call when you encounter an emergency. Try to provide as much detailed information to the dispatcher as possible. Stay on the line until the dispatcher terminates the call. In medical emergencies, when possible, have another person stay with the victim while you make the call.
We encourage prompt reporting of all crimes that occur within the jurisdiction of the college. Prompt reporting could lessen the loss or aid in solving a crime. In addition, incidents should be reported so causes may be detected and corrective measures may be taken to improve the safety and security of the college community.
Yellow emergency phones, or "call boxes", are located in blue poles at the Miller lot, Nursing Ed. lot, Banks lot, Rangeline North and South lots, the Wigtman lot, 10th Street lot and Buchanan Hall. Standard telephones are located at the front of each residence hall.
Reporting sexual assault
A Columbia College student who is the victim of a sexual assault should do the following after the assault:
- Call Campus Safety: 711 or 875-7315. If the sexual assault occurred off-campus, the victim may still call Campus Security. If the victim chooses, Campus Security will notify the appropriate agency to handle the report.
- Seek medical attention in an emergency room that performs legal rape exams.
- University of Missouri Hospital, 882-8091
- Boone Hospital Center, 875-3501
- Seek support and assistance.
- Contact your Area Coordinator or the Residential Life Director
- Campus Counseling Center, 875-7423
- Rape/Abuse Shelter Hotline, 875-1370
- MID-MO Mental Health Dept., 449-2511
- Medical Aftercare
- Health Services, 875-7432
- Planned Parenthood, 443-0247
- Private Physician
If you choose to call Campus Safety as one of your options, and if you choose to file a report of the incident, the following information will be discussed with you.
- Remember that YOU are the victim. You have nothing to feel guilty or ashamed about. If you report the sexual assault or rape to the police and make a police report, your medical treatment will be paid for by the City of Columbia Victims Fund.
- As soon as you call, a police officer will contact you at the scene of the attack, the hospital or wherever you wish to be contacted.
- To preserve evidence, you should not bathe or change clothes or do any cleaning up in any manner prior to receiving medical assistance.
- You are the person in control when you contact the police department and you decide how you want the incident handled.
- You may press charges against the suspect.
- You may ask that college disciplinary action be initiated against the suspect.
- You may ask the police not to contact the suspect about the incident and still choose not to have the suspect arrested.
It is not required that you press charges against the suspect; but the police hope that you will proceed with prosecution. Then your assailant may be arrested for what they have done to you. However, it is your choice.