Ether L. Bruce Math Center Policies
- Bruce Math Center services are available to students enrolled in all 100- and 200-level math courses at the Columbia College main campus. These courses range from Beginning Algebra to Calculus II, Discrete Math I and Statistics I.
- Bruce Math Center services are also available to Boone County students taking online math courses.
- There is a two-hour time limit per day.
- You may receive only limited help with graded homework. (Graded Homework Policy)
- Bruce Math Center staff will not teach material from missed classes. (Missed Class Policy)
- Profanity is not allowed.
- Respect for the Bruce Math Center staff and other students is expected at all times.
- All Bruce Math Center services are open while Columbia College day classes are in session.
- The Bruce Math Center offices will close when Columbia College is closed for inclement weather.
- Students are asked not to bring children with them to the Bruce Math Center. College policy also prohibits children under the age of 12 being left unattended on campus.
Graded Homework Policy
Our goal at the Bruce Math Center is to support students in understanding the concepts presented to them in their freshman and sophomore math courses. Students are responsible for taking this knowledge and using it when graded homework, quizzes or exams are given by the instructor. For this reason, we only offer limited help on graded homework, quizzes or exams. When we are presented with a graded assignment by students, we will ask students to find a problem similar to it in their book and we will work that problem (and others, if necessary) thoroughly until the student has gained insight into the concepts covered in the problem. Students are then responsible for applying their understanding of the concepts to the graded problem in question. We will not check student solutions to graded homework, quizzes or exams.
Missed Class Policy
We will not teach material from missed classes. If you missed a class, you must:
- See your instructor.
- Get class notes from a classmate or your teacher.
- Read the missed material in your text.
- Try the homework.
- Then come to see us!