Columbia College of Missouri-Freeport was established in 1996 on the location of Highland Community College. The venue offers high-tech classrooms, qualified academic advisors and faculty, access to an outdoor study area and multipurpose athletic field, and high-speed, online access to library resources.
The Freeport location provides a unique educational opportunity to working adults through its degree offerings and eight-week course format. As part of a network of venues across the country and a robust online program, the college offers convenient courses to civilians as well as military adult learners.
Students take a mix of in-seat and online classes.
Columbia College of Missouri-Freeport has agreements with Highland Community College, Rock Valley College and Rockford Career Center, which allows students a seamless transition from an associate degree through a bachelor’s degree, and beyond, at Columbia College.
Established in 1996 on the campus of Highland Community College, Columbia College-Freeport was originally requested by community leaders who desired a four-year degree program in the city.
We know there's more to life than studying. When you're ready to take a break from the books, you'll find plenty of recreational, cultural and sports opportunities.
Freeport, a vibrant Community in the gently rolling hills of Northwest Illinois, boasts the best of both worlds with modern high-tech companies as well as the scenic charm of the rural Midwest. Freeport and the surrounding communities portray a healthy community where:
- Four Fortune 500 companies or their leading divisions make their home.
- Public and private school systems strive to create a community of learners.
- Highland Community College offers associate's degrees as well as appropriate training in job skills needed by area businesses and industry and where Columbia provides four year programs for people who seek baccalaureate degrees.
- The area's energetic 28,000 residents enjoy 780 acres of well - equipped parks and other recreation facilities.
- Nearly 70 churches and houses of worship in Freeport give spiritual support and leadership for residents.
- Stephenson County's 76,000 residents celebrate numerous festivals and cultural events in Freeport and surrounding communities.
- Freeport Memorial Hospital and several area clinics assure ready access to expert medical care.
- Numerous musical and theatrical performances -- both by community and school organizations -- enliven the community.
- More than 200 national, regional and local stores offer an array merchandise and services, including businesses that boast value-oriented prices as well as unique shops and boutiques.
- Area residents enjoy four distinct Midwestern seasons: crisp autumns, snowy winters, dramatic greening in springtime, and hot summers.
For more information about community activities, consult the Freeport Chamber of Commerce Web site.