News and Events
Columbia College receives $1.3 million from alumna Genevieve Koontz Buchanan
Columbia, Mo. - Columbia College has received a $1.3 million gift from Genevieve Koontz Buchanan, a 1938 graduate of the college. Buchanan designated the gift to provide for the establishment of one or more scholarships that would bear her name.
"Genevieve Buchanan had a real love for this college," said Dr. Gerald Brouder, president of Columbia College. "She made many important contributions to the school over the years and we are truly grateful for her support. Her gifts have had a strong impact on the college and the students we serve."
In addition to the recent $1.3 million gift, Buchanan also made a substantial gift in 1994 which that established the Nettie Ashlock, Marion Hertig and Mary Paxton Keeley Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded each year to a deserving first- or second-year student.
Additionally, Buchanan made gifts in 1993 and 1996 which that provided for significant improvements to the Columbia College campus, including the renovation of the New Classroom Building, later renamed Buchanan Hall in her honor.
Raised in Richards, Mo., Buchanan came to the college as a scholarship recipient in 1936. After earning her associate degree, she went on to receive her bachelor's degree from Pittsburg State University and her master's degree from the University of Missouri - Kansas City. After teaching in the Kansas City area for 24 years, Buchanan retired and spent her time volunteering and traveling the world. She and her late husband, Lawrence Buchanan, lived near Parkville, Mo.
Buchanan joins John Schiffman, a member of the Columbia College board of trustees, and alumna Carol Frobish '49, as the top three individual donors in the school's history. The college received a $3.1 million gift from Frobish in 2004 and a $1.5 million gift from Schiffman in 2000.
Columbia College serves more than 20,000 students nationwide each year through its Day Campus, Evening Campus, Online Campus, 30 Nationwide/Extended Campuses and Graduate Studies Program. The college was founded in 1851.