Skip to main content


Contact us

Office hours:

Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Phone: (573) 875-7504
Toll-free: (800) 231-2391, ext. 7504
Fax: (573) 876-4455


Main Campus address:
1001 Rogers St.,
Columbia, MO 65216 U.S.A.

GI Bill Frequently Asked Questions

What chapter do I qualify for?

The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) makes all determinations for which an individual qualifies. To determine what chapter you qualify for, you must apply for educational benefits with the DVA.

How do I verify my enrollment?

Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at (877) 823-2378. If you are receiving benefits under DEA (Chapter 35) or VEAP (Chapter 32), you do NOT need to verify your attendance in this manner.

How can I obtain a copy of my DD 214 military record or other service record?

If you have misplaced or lost your original DD 214, or would like to obtain or amend a copy of your military service record, you may request another copy from the National Archive and Records Administration.

How do I contact the DVA?

You may contact the DVA through its website or by calling toll-free (888) GIBILL-1.

How many credits do I need to take to receive full-time benefits from the DVA?

For a 16-week Day Campus session: 12 credit hours; for an eight-week undergraduate session: six credit hours; and for an eight-week graduate session: three credit hours.

I have a kicker. How do I utilize my kicker?

The DOD provides the DVA with kicker-eligibility information. Because this information can be delayed, students with kickers can send the DVA a copy of their kicker contract with their application for benefits to help speed the payment of this additional benefit. Kicker contracts should not be submitted to school-certifying officials.

Can I get an advance payment of my education benefits? 

 Columbia College does not participate in the Advance Payment Program.

Where can I find required forms?

What classes will the DVA pay for?

The Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay benefits for enrollments that are required for you to make progress toward your educational goal. Prior to certification the Certifying Official will verify that your courses apply towards your degree program. Courses that are not required in your major program cannot be certified.

Does Columbia College participate in the Work-Study Allowance Program?

Eligible main campus (Day and Evening) students have the opportunity to apply for available VA work-study positions. Applications for student employment are available online.

Nationwide Campus students should contact their local campus to check the availability of the Work-Study Allowance Program.

What if I fail a class?

If you fail a class the VA does not automatically require repayment.

  • The VA requires that you maintain academic progress.
  • If you fail a class the VA will pay for you to repeat the class one time.
  • If you fail a class due to lack of attendance, your last date of attendance will be reported to the VA.
  • The VA will not pay benefits for a class you did not attend.

Does Columbia College allow tuition deferment for students using VA education benefits?

Yes. Columbia College does allow students using VA education benefits to defer tuition payment until the end of the term. Students should contact their local campus for additional information.

I am eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33. If I drop a class, what happens to the tuition funds the VA paid on my behalf?

If you drop a course prior to the start of the session, the funds are returned to the VA.

If you drop a course after the session has started, the funds are returned to you. The VA will recoup the funds directly from you.

I am eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33. How will this affect other forms of tuition-only funding I am also entitled to receive?

The regulations of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Improvement Act of 2010 require the school to certify only the net cost when reporting tuition and fees for Chapter 33. Net cost is defined by the VA as the remaining tuition balance after the application of any waiver of, or reduction in, tuition and fees; any scholarship; or other federal, state, institutional or employer-based aid or assistance (excluding loans and Title IV aid) that is provided directly to the institution and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees.

To help you understand how this will affect you, please review Net Cost Q&A.

I still have questions. Who do I contact?

Main campus (Day Campus and Evening Campus in Columbia, Mo.) and Online Campus students should contact a Veterans Certifying Official at (573) 875-7504, or (800) 231-2391, ext. 7504, or e-mail

Nationwide Campus students should contact their local campus. View the Nationwide Campus Directory for contact information.


Request info