Dr. Miranda E. Wilkerson
Assistant Professor and Coordinator of English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
Dr. Miranda E. Wilkerson received her B.A. in German from Indiana University and her Ph.D. in Applied German Linguistics with a concentration in Second Language Acquisition from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She holds two certificates in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), namely ELT Leadership Management Certificate and the TESOL Core Certificate.
As Assistant Professor and Coordinator of EAP at the College, Dr. Wilkerson teaches a variety of classes in the program, each designed to improve students' English proficiency for academic purposes. She enjoys combining teaching and research, exploring topics that tie into language acquisition and pedagogy, such as the learning of English among earlier immigrants and the role of the listener in the perception, mental construction, and interpretation of accent.
Before coming to Columbia College in 2011, Dr. Wilkerson served in the Peace Corps as a Teacher Trainer in Ukraine, directed the German minor at Western Illinois University, and taught English in Austria through the Fulbright Commission.
- The Socio-Historical Context of Imposition in Substrate Effects: German-Sourced Features in Wisconsin English (2014; with Mark Livengood and Joe Salmons). Journal of English Linguistics, 42.4, 284-306.
- Readying ELLs for Higher Education (2013). TESOL Connections.
- The Sound of German: Descriptions of Accent by Native and Non-Native Listeners (2013). Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German, 46.1, 106-118.
- Linguistic Marginalities: Becoming American without Learning English (2012; with Joe Salmons). Journal of Transnational American Studies, 4.2.
- Teaching with Glee: A Listening Log for the ESOL Classroom (2012). TESOL Connections.
- Going Global: Exploring TEFL in the Peace Corps (2012). Proceedings of MIDTESOL's 2011 Gateway to Global Citizenship Conference, ed. by J. Morrison, 238-253.
- Identifying Accent in German: A Comparison of Native and Non-Native Listeners (2010). Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German, 43.2, 144-153.
- 'Good Old Immigrants of Yesteryear' Who Didn't Learn English: Germans in Wisconsin (2008; with Joe Salmons). American Speech, 83.3, 259-283.
Contact Dr. Miranda E. Wilkerson
Office Location: STC 208
Phone Number: (573) 875-7558
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org