Bachelor of Science in Biology
The Physical and Biological Sciences Department offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in biology. These degrees provide the background necessary for a variety of careers, including graduate and professional schools. A biology or chemistry major is recommended for those who are seeking entry into medical/veterinary/dental/nursing/graduate schools.
Students who have completed a degree in biology at Columbia College will:
- Understand scientific vocabulary and knowledge.
- Understand biological principles, models and theories used to predict, understand and apply to biological phenomena.
- Understand the scientific method and its application.
- Demonstrate proficiency in laboratory skills; including familiarity with the use of instrumentation and analytic methods commonly used in biological research.
- Evaluate scientific results through the use of statistical analyses and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate competence in scientific writing, oral presentation and familiarity with the use of scientific literature.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding ethics in science and everyday life.
General Education Requirements
38-41 sem. hrs
Ethics Course Requirement
PHIL 460 Biomedical Ethics or 3 hrs PHIL 332 (ENVS 332) Environmental Ethics or PHIL 330 Ethics
3 sem. hrs
45 sem. hrs
(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher. Courses in the major cannot be taken as Pass/Fail.) BIOL 110 Principles of Biology I 3 hrs BIOL 110L Principles of Biology I Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 112 Principles of Biology II 3 hrs BIOL 112L Principles of Biology II Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 290 Principles of Cell Biology 3 hrs BIOL 290L Principles of Cell Biology Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 324 (PSYC/SOCI 324) Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 342 Genetics 3 hrs BIOL 342L Genetics Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 395 Research Design for the Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 420 (CHEM 420) Biochemistry I 3 hrs BIOL 420L (CHEM 420L) Biochemistry Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 490 (ENVS 490) Senior Seminar 1 hr CHEM 110 Chemistry I 3 hrs CHEM 111L Introductory Chemistry Laboratory Experience 2 hrs CHEM 112 Chemistry II 3 hrs CHEM 112L Chemistry II Laboratory 2 hrs CHEM 310 Organic Chemistry I 3 hrs
21 sem. hrs
(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.) Twenty-one semester hours of courses with a BIOL prefix and above the 110-level. Nine of these hours must be in upper-level courses. A maximum of three of these hours may be obtained from internships (BIOL 399/499).
10-13 sem. hrs
120 sem. hrs
Culminating Experience: All students must complete BIOL 490 Senior Seminar with a grade of C or higher.