Bachelor of Science in Biology
The Department of Physical and Biological Sciences offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in biology. These degrees provide the background necessary for a variety of careers, as well as entry into graduate and professional schools. A biology or chemistry major is recommended for those who are seeking entry into medical, veterinary, dental or nursing schools.
Students who have completed a degree in biology at Columbia College will:
- Possess basic scientific vocabulary and knowledge.
- Understand the scientific method and its application.
- Understand biological principles, models and theories and apply these to biological phenomena.
- Demonstrate proficiency in laboratory skills; including familiarity with instrumentation and analytic methods commonly used in biological research.
- Evaluate scientific results through statistical analyses and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate competence in scientific writing and oral presentation, and familiarity with the use of scientific literature.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding ethics in science and everyday life.
General Education Requirements
38-41 sem. hrs
For a complete list of general education courses click here. For additional information on general education requirements click here. Ethics Course Requirement
3 sem. hrs
ENVS 332 Environmental Ethics or 3 hrs PHIL 332 Environmental Ethics or 3 hrs PHIL 460 Biomedical Ethics or 3 hrs PHIL 330 Ethics 3 hrs
3 sem. hrs
All courses that meet this requirement can be found here
45 sem. hrs
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher. Courses in the major cannot be taken as Pass/Fail. BIOL 110 Principles of Biology I 3 hrs BIOL 110L Principles of Biology I Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 112 Principles of Biology II 3 hrs BIOL 112L Principles of Biology II Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 290 Principles of Cell Biology 3 hrs BIOL 290L Principles of Cell Biology Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 324 Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences or 3 hrs PSYC 324 Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences or 3 hrs SOCI 324 Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 342 Genetics 3 hrs BIOL 342L Genetics Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 395 Research Design for the Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 420 Biochemistry I 3 hrs BIOL 420L Biochemistry Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 490 Senior Seminar 1 hr CHEM 110 Chemistry I 3 hrs CHEM 111L Introductory Chemistry Laboratory Experience 2 hrs CHEM 112 Chemistry II 3 hrs CHEM 112L Chemistry II Laboratory 2 hrs CHEM 310 Organic Chemistry I 3 hrs
21 sem. hrs
Twenty-one semester hours of courses with a BIOL prefix and above the 110 - level. Nine of these hours must be in upper level courses. A maximum of three of these hours may be obtained from internships. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
10-13 sem. hrs
Total Semester Hours
Culminating Experience: All students must complete BIOL 490 - Senior Seminar with a grade of C or higher.