Bachelor of Science in Biology Degree
The opportunities for students trained in biology have grown dramatically as there is an increasing demand for those who are educated in natural sciences. Through training in biology students learn to apply scientific methods, test hypotheses and develop laboratory skills. Critical thinking to evaluate scientific results through statistical analyses, scientific writing and oral presentation are basic skills developed by students who are biology majors.
The Physical and Biological Sciences Department offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in biology. These degrees provide the background necessary for a variety of careers, including graduate and professional schools. A biology or chemistry major is recommended for those who are seeking entry into medical/veterinary/dental/nursing/graduate schools.
Students who have completed a degree in biology at Columbia College will:
- Understand scientific vocabulary and knowledge.
- Understand biological principles, models and theories used to predict, understand and apply to biological phenomena.
- Understand the scientific method and its application.
- Demonstrate proficiency in laboratory skills; including familiarity with the use of instrumentation and analytic methods commonly used in biological research.
- Evaluate scientific results through the use of statistical analyses and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate competence in scientific writing, oral presentation and familiarity with the use of scientific literature.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding ethics in science and everyday life.
General Education Requirements
38-41 sem. hrs
Ethics Course Requirement
PHIL 460 Biomedical Ethics or 3 hrs PHIL 332 (ENVS 332) Environmental Ethics or PHIL 330 Ethics
3 sem. hrs
45 sem. hrs
(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher. Courses in the major cannot be taken as Pass/Fail.) BIOL 110 Principles of Biology I 3 hrs BIOL 110L Principles of Biology I Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 112 Principles of Biology II 3 hrs BIOL 112L Principles of Biology II Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 290 Principles of Cell Biology 3 hrs BIOL 290L Principles of Cell Biology Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 324 (PSYC/SOCI 324) Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 342 Genetics 3 hrs BIOL 342L Genetics Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 395 Research Design for the Sciences 3 hrs BIOL 420 (CHEM 420) Biochemistry I 3 hrs BIOL 420L (CHEM 420L) Biochemistry Laboratory 2 hrs BIOL 490 (ENVS 490) Senior Seminar 1 hr CHEM 110 Chemistry I 3 hrs CHEM 111L Introductory Chemistry Laboratory Experience 2 hrs CHEM 112 Chemistry II 3 hrs CHEM 112L Chemistry II Laboratory 2 hrs CHEM 310 Organic Chemistry I 3 hrs
21 sem. hrs
(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.) Twenty-one semester hours of courses with a BIOL prefix and above the 110-level. Nine of these hours must be in upper-level courses. A maximum of three of these hours may be obtained from internships (BIOL 399/499).
10-13 sem. hrs
120 sem. hrs
Culminating Experience: All students must complete BIOL 490 Senior Seminar with a grade of C or higher.