Bachelor of Arts in Biology Degree
The Physical and Biological Sciences Department offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in biology. These degrees provide the background necessary for a variety of careers, including graduate and professional schools. A biology or chemistry major is recommended for those who are seeking entry into medical/veterinary/dental/nursing/graduate schools.
Students who have completed a degree in biology at Columbia College will:
- Understand scientific vocabulary and knowledge.
- Understand biological principles, models and theories used to predict, understand and apply to biological phenomena.
- Understand the scientific method and its application.
- Demonstrate proficiency in laboratory skills; including familiarity with the use of instrumentation and analytic methods commonly used in biological research.
- Evaluate scientific results through the use of statistical analyses and critical thinking.
- Demonstrate competence in scientific writing, oral presentation and familiarity with the use of scientific literature.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding ethics in science and everyday life.
General Education Requirements
38-41 sem. hrs
|Ethics Course Requirement|
|ENVS 332||(PHIL 332) Environmental Ethics or|
|PHIL 460||Biomedical Ethics or|
Foreign Language Requirement
6 sem. hrs
3 sem. hrs
32-37 sem. hrs
|(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher. Courses in the major cannot be taken as Pass/Fail.)|
|BIOL 110||Principles of Biology I||3 hrs|
|BIOL 110L||Principles of Biology I Laboratory||2 hrs|
|BIOL 112||Principles of Biology II||3 hrs|
|BIOL 112L||Principles of Biology II Laboratory||2 hrs|
|BIOL 290||Principles of Cell Biology||3 hrs|
|BIOL 290L||Principles of Cell Biology Laboratory||2 hrs|
|BIOL 324||(PSYC/SOCI 324) Statistics for the Behavioral and Natural Sciences||3 hrs|
|BIOL 342||Genetics||3 hrs|
|BIOL 342L||Genetics Laboratory||2 hrs|
|BIOL 395||(CHEM 395) (ENVS 395) Research Design in the Sciences||3 hrs|
|BIOL 490||(ENVS 490) Senior Seminar||1 hr|
|CHEM 109||Chemistry for Biological and Health-Related Sciences and||3 hrs|
|CHEM 111L||Introductory Chemistry Laboratory Experience or||2 hrs|
|CHEM 110||Chemistry 1 and||3 hrs|
|CHEM 111L||Introductory Chemistry Laboratory Experience||2 hrs|
|CHEM 112||Chemistry II and||3 hrs|
|CHEM 112L||Chemistry II Laboratory||2 hrs|
21 sem. hrs
|(All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.) Twenty-one semester hours of courses with a BIOL prefix and above the 110-level. Nine of these hours must be in upper-level courses. A maximum of three of these hours may be obtained from internships (BIOL 399/499).|
12-20 sem. hrs
120 sem. hrs
Culminating Experience: All students must complete BIOL 490 Senior Seminar with a grade of C or higher.