If you're a Missouri high school student and you have a natural curiosity for exploring the way things should (or shouldn't) be, you're an excellent candidate to compete in the third annual Missouri High School Ethics Bowl.
What is an ethics bowl?
An ethics bowl is a competitive, yet collaborative, event. Students analyze and discuss timely, ethical, real-life issues. An ethics bowl differs from debate in that students are not assigned opposing views—rather, they defend whatever position they believe is right and win by showing they have thought carefully, deeply and perceptively about the cases in question.
Team registration is now open
Location & parking
Brouder Science Center
1001 Rogers Street
Columbia, MO 65216
Free parking will be available in our non-residential lots, located along Rangeline Street. Use this campus map and these directions to campus.
GPS Address: 1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO 65216
Arrival & departure
Check-in opens at 8:30 a.m. in the lobby of Atkins-Holman Student Commons. The program will begin at 9:30 a.m. Upon arrival, your team will be given a competition schedule, name tags and an informational packet. All required release forms will be collected at check in. Please plan to stay for the duration of the event, which is expected to end around 4:30 p.m.
Complimentary breakfast and lunch in Dulany Dining Hall will be provided for all guests. Please notify the Admissions Office if you have any dietary needs or restrictions at (573) 875-7352.
Experience shows that the event encourages and promotes ethical awareness, critical thinking skills, civil discourse, civic engagement and an appreciation for diverse points of view. Not to mention, it's pretty awesome meeting new people from high schools around the state.
"I found the Missouri High School Ethics Bowl to be one of the more intellectually stimulating experiences. I watched students work together as they considered, for example, the implications of an individual's actions on the larger populace. It was so inspiring!"
-Dr. Peter Stiepleman, superintendent for Columbia Public Schools
National High School Ethics Bowl
The winning team of the Missouri High School Ethics Bowl earns the honor of representing the State of Missouri at the national competition. Learn more about the National High School Ethics Bowl.
Thank you to our sponsors:
- University of Missouri Department of Philosophy and the Florence G. Kline Endowment in Philosophy
- Gary Tatlow
- Columbia College History, Philosophy & Political Science
- University of Missouri School of Law
- University of Missouri Center for Health Ethics
- Columbia College Partners in Education
- Law Office of Mike Campbell, LLC
- Columbia College Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences
- Rotary Club of Jefferson City
- Rotary Club of Columbia - South
- National Qualifiers from 2017-2018 Missouri High School Ethics Bowl: David H. Hickman High School
- National Qualifiers from 2016-2017 Missouri High School Ethics Bowl: David H. Hickman High School
- National Qualifiers from 2015-2016 Missouri High School Ethics Bowl: David H. Hickman High School
- National Qualifiers from 2014-2015 Missouri High School Ethics Bowl: Rock Bridge High School
- National Qualifiers from 2013-2014 Missouri High School Ethics Bowl: David H. Hickman High School (placed 3rd nationally)
Overnight accommodations are plentiful in the Columbia area. For more information on hotels and motels, visit the Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau website or call (800) 652-0987.