Skip to main content

Search Bar Icon Close Menu

Registration frequently asked questions

General registration questions

What does it mean if I am timed out?

For your security, you will automatically be logged out of the screens that interface with your academic records after a period of inactivity. The message you will receive is: "For your security, you have been timed out. If you would like to access your accounts again, please log in again."

I am having trouble; who should I contact?

Locate the appropriate office depending upon your problem. If you're not sure, start with  (800) 231-2391, then use the following extensions based on your needs:

  • Enrollment Service Center - ext. 7252 for questions related to registration, financial aid or student account matters.
  • Office of the Registrar - ext. 7526 for questions concerning grades, class schedules, transcripts, diplomas, etc.
  • Help Desk - ext. 7369 for help with log-in activation and password or User ID issues. You may also visit the CougarTrack FAQ page.

Where do I get my books?

Consult your course syllabus or visit the bookstore for more information.

I use a computer speech reader such as JAWS or NVDA. How do I register for classes online?

Students who utilize a computer speech reader such as JAWS or NVDA may continue to use Assisted Registration.

eRegistration error messages

What do I do when I get a failure message?

There are a number of different types of failure messages - some of them may have to do with the course section for which you are attempting to register and some of them may apply to who you are; others may be completion rules which would keep you from completing the registration process. Some failure messages are intuitive and some will even tell you which office to contact. If you do not understand your failure message or do not know who to contact, make a note of the message and contact the Enrollment Service Center at (800) 231-2391 extension 7252 or (573) 875-7252.

I get the following message when trying to register, "Course Name is a variable credit course. You cannot register for this using Express Registration. Register for variable credit courses using Search and Register for Sections."

This course can be taken for a variable amount of credit; you must use the Search and Register (Self-Service Student Planner) link to register for variable credit courses so that you can enter the correct amount of credits.

I received the following message when I tried to register: "Registration in Course Name puts student in overload. Petition is required." What is a petition?

A petition is an approval from an appropriate individual to approve an exception to a policy, in this case, the overload policy. See the Columbia College catalog for the overload policy and contact your campus for appropriate permission.

I received a "failed" message stating that "Student requires instructor's signature to register." I have my instructor's permission to take this class; why can't I register?

Certain Columbia College courses are set up to require permission from the instructor prior to registration. This permission must be entered into the College database before you will be allowed to register. Contact your instructor to have the permission entered.

I tried to drop all my classes and received one or more of the following messages:

  • "Schedule changes have NOT been made"
  • "Your registration cannot be completed for the following reason(s)"
  • To withdraw from the college see Student Affairs

What does this mean?

If you are a Day Campus student you cannot completely withdraw from the college through eRegistration. You must contact Student Affairs to begin the withdrawal process. If you are not a Day Campus student, contact the Enrollment Service Center.

When trying to register for an undergraduate class I received a message that said my academic level doesn't match the course. What does that mean? Can I still take the course?

If you have been admitted for a graduate level program you may still take an undergraduate course even though it doesn't match your academic level. This is just a warning message although you should ensure that the status says "registered."

I registered for courses through eRegistration and was told that in order to complete the enrollment process I must make payment arrangements.

Unless you have full financial aid or are paid in full, you must set up a payment plan at the time of registration. If you see the payment arrangement message, you do not have enough financial aid to cover your expenses, and you MUST set up a payment plan. If you do not do this your registration will not be saved. Click on the ePayment link to proceed.

I have full financial aid but I still get the message that states that I must make payment arrangements and/or my aid is not included in the payment plan.

Some financial aid, especially institutional aid, is available only when a student is registered full time. Other types of aid, such as Pell Grants, are prorated based on ½ time, ¾ time or full time. If total registered hours are less than full time, the aid will not be computed, or may be computed at a lower amount. Full time status for 8- and 16-week terms requires enrollment in at least 12 credit hours.

Day students with institutional aid who wish to register part time initially will be required to set up a payment plan for their part-time enrollment until they register full time.

Financial aid that is included in a payment plan will automatically adjust as your enrollment or financial aid changes. For example, if you have a Pell Grant and register for 3 credit hours in an 8-week session. Only half of the Pell Grant will be included in your payment plan. If you add another 3 credit hours, for a total of 6 hours, the Pell Grant included in your plan will automatically be figured for full-time status.

Only financial aid that has been awarded will be included in a payment plan. Aid that is estimated or pending will not be included.

I received an eRegistration Failure message stating that I was not registered.

Unless you have enough financial aid to cover your entire balance, or you pay in full, you are required to set up a payment plan to complete the registration process. Making a partial payment without completing a payment plan does not complete your registration, and you are not registered.

If you do not want to set up a payment plan, you must pay your account balance in full.

I tried to drop/withdraw from my class and received a message that stated this option isn't currently available.

You may drop classes in CougarTrack by selecting the Registration link under the heading Academics>Registration and clicking the link for the Register and Drop Sections. The drop period normally ends on the first business day of the second week of classes. After the drop period has ended you may submit a Course Withdrawal Form through the sixth week of class. The Course Withdrawal form is located in CougarTrack under the heading Academics, then select the Registration link, and click on Course Withdrawal Form. Course Withdrawal Forms are processed manually by a campus staff member during regular business hours.


Request info