A letter from the President
I want to share with you the plans for a new project that is near and dear to me. Since coming to the college I’ve noticed that the students do not have a real outdoor space to call their own. Space where they can meet, study and gather.
What I'm calling the “Quad” is the area north of St. Clair, Williams and Dorsey Hall, and south of Brown and Buchanan Halls. We are completely rethinking this area in exciting new ways. In the artist's renderings you will see an overall master plan for this project.
Beginning on the east side of Campus walking to the west you will see:
- A Christian College Garden, symbolically placed in front of Dorsey Chapel’s stained glass. The garden will celebrate the college’s history from 1851 to 1970 and provide an area where alumnae and friends can reflect on memories of their time at CC and times gone by.
- The Fountain, centered in front of Williams Hall, will have ground level spouts, allowing students to walk through it, if they like!
- A new Williams Hall entrance. A historically inspired entry will restore prominence to this campus icon.
- The Campus Safety office will be housed in a new wing of St. Clair Hall, adding visibility, accessibility and security to the campus community. We are putting safety where students eat, sleep and play.
- An Outdoor Amphitheater will anchor the north side of the Quad, with a great view of the fountain. Here the campus community will be able to hold class, give impromptu performances, or simply study and soak up the sun.
- A North Walkway will replace Cougar Drive from the Campus Safety office just past Brown Hall. Though it will still allow emergency vehicles to access the interior of campus, this grassy walkway will add to the recreational area adjacent to Miller Residence Hall.
- An attractive new Campus Pavilion with open and covered dining will bring Dulany Hall into the new concourse, giving students another space to gather for meals and study sessions.
My wife Tina and I are very committed to this initiative and we are personally donating $10,000 toward it. Tina has also graciously agreed to chair the committee to raise funds for construction. I hope you will join us by considering a gift to this exciting project.
Dr. Scott Dalrymple